They still think she'll be able to come home Sunday! We just got back from visiting Katelyn and she looks so good today...aside from the IV in her head. :( I was changing her just before feeding her when all of a sudden I was hit by projectile poop. Very nice. ugh, it got everywhere and they had to change all of her blankets and everything! lol So I got her cleaned up, then got her changed into an outfit of her own that we brought for her. It's so cute with little faux-ballerina slippers (which are really just part of the outfit, but super cute!). She was so cozy and warm! Then I tried to nurse her and she had a little trouble since she's used to using a bottle in the NICU, so Jennifer, the occupational therapist, gave me a shield to use, and Katleyn did better using that. The only problem is that she kept falling asleep. She'd suck for a few seconds, then close her eyes and go to sleep. Then Jennifer was scratching/rubbing Katelyn's scalp to try to wake her up and Gordon even tried rubbing her feet while I was busy rubbing her back. We were all trying to keep the poor baby awake so she'd eat. How many people does it take to make the baby eat? Well, apparently the answer is 3! lol
After about 10 minutes, I switched sides and she had the hang of it by then, but again, kept falling asleep so we had to keep trying to wake her up. After nursing, since we don't know how much she took in, the nurse said we'll give her a supplement just to make sure she received enough. she drank maybe 20CCs of the supplement but that was all she wanted. I just hope she's eating enough to grow properly. Last night, they said her weight dropped from 7lb, 14oz down to 7lbs, 11 oz, so she's still up 2oz from when she was born. I'm not too worried bc I remember that Madison lost a whole pound....
*okay I seriously started writing this and literally fell asleep writing. Gordon came downstairs and found me on the couch, with the computer in my lap, but I had fallen asleep sitting up...now that's bad.*
Anyhow, Madison lost a pound in her first 4 days, by the time we got to the pedi for a checkup, so we had to supplement with formula for a while...maybe a week or so until my milk came in. This time around, Katelyn is only 3 days old and I'm already able to get enough to feed her.
We left the hospital and I planned to come back with mom for the 5:00 feeding (since I was instructed not to drive for two weeks...I feel like a prisoner!), so Gordon and I went to BRU to get some diapers for Madison, then to Target to get a few things and we picked up some lunch from Chicken Express, but he got enough so that we'd have leftovers for dinner, too. Then we went home and I pumped since it was time for Katelyn's 2pm feeding, then Gordon took a nap. I wanted to, but I also wanted to add some posts and pics, so I went downstairs to use the computer. Guess I should have taken a nap, bc I ended up falling asleep while doing this anyways!
At 4:15, I went to mom's house then remembered I'm not supposed to drive, so mom drove us to the hospital so I could nurse Katelyn for her 5pm feeding. Unfortunately, right around 4:20, on our way up there, the nurse called, with Katelyn screaming her little head off in the background, to tell me that she was awake and very hungry, so I told the nurse to go ahead and feed her. So we stopped and got dad a mini cake from target for his birthday. We went and visited Katelyn and I got to hold her for a while. She really seems like a totally normal baby now, since the splint is off of her arm from the IV and her complexion is normal. It just feels like I'm holding my own baby again instead of the first time when it felt like she had more cords that I could count! mom held her for a while, too then it was time for the nurse to give her the antibiotics. I saw a bunch of needles as she was prepping them and I was thinking, "Get away from my baby with all of those needles, woman!!!". However, when she went to give her the meds, she just put the needles in the port from the IV. I was so glad she didn't have to stick her again. My poor baby. When she had to give the other antibiotic, she said it was administered through a little machine, and took a half hour to give her, so we just had to be real careful if we held her during it bc we might pull out the IV. So I just told her we'd lay her down, bc I didn't want to take the chance of pulling out her IV.
Mom and I met dad in the cafeteria (since he was working at the hospital today) and we gave him his little mini cake we bought for his birthday. When mom and I left, we went to party city bc i wanted to decorate the house and get a "welcome home baby" kind of sign or something for when Katelyn comes home. No such luck. Everything was just for a baby shower. blah. Oh, well. Mom came over and we ate dinner (leftover lunch) and I had to go pump, bc it hurt soooooooooooo bad! I had missed Katelyn's 5pm feeding and now it was time for her next feeding, so I was about to burst. The problem is that when I do pump, my abdomen hurts so much from the contractions that start when nursing. OUCH!
Madison is at home with us for the night for the first time since Monday night, so of course she's being spoiled. She already went to bed, then half hour later decided she wanted to get up. Normally, we'd find a way to get her back in bed, but tonight....eh, she can stay up! lol
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment