Friday, May 15, 2009

Cant. lift. my. arms...

Wednesday, I took a barbell strength class at the gym. When they say "intermediate" they're NOT joking! lol Well, then I went to a yoga class later that day. I woke up yesterday DEFINITELY sore! Today, I left Katelyn with my mom while Madison was at school and went to the gym for about an hour and a half, even though I can barely lift my arms high enough to do my hair or brush my teeth. We did way too much tricep reps in that strength class! Everything else is kind of sore, like my legs hurt when getting up and the stairs...oh, forget it! But my triceps buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurn! I figured I need to keep moving to loosen the muscles, so I went to the gym and warmed up by walking a mile, then did about 30 minutes of weights. i did my arms, back, shoulders, and chest. I went and did the vertical bench press machine. I lifted about 30 pounds while doing the reps, but then I wanted to see what I could max out at. I put it at 100lbs and could not even MOVE the bar! so I put it down to 70 and I coudl move it halfway out, so I had to drop down to 55lbs. Seriously? When did I become that weak?

I remember the very first time I maxed out before I had ever even lifted a weight in my whole life, and I maxed out at 85lbs. I know after lifting 2-3 times a week, I was able to max out at 100 or 105lbs, but did workouts at 80%, so I lifted 80lbs while doing reps. Now today was just disappointing. Really? I can ONLY lift 55lbs?! What kind of weakling is that?

I always liked lifting weights, that was my favorite part of working out in soccer class in high school. We used to have a weight bench, but it never got used, so we got rid of it. I need to get back to weight lifting. They say that it's more important to build muscle while trying to get in shape bc a pound of muscle burns 6 calories, while a pound of fat burns only 2. It may not seem like much difference, but mulitply that by your weight and it makes a big difference! 100lbs of muscle burns 600 calories, while 100 pounds of fat burns only 200.

Well, I didn't plan on leaving Katelyn with the daycare people at the gym, but since my dad just got home from the hospital, I guess I have to. I really don't like that, but I guess I don't really have a choice. They won't take her until she's 3 months old, so for the next few weeks, we'll just have to take turns. I went today while my mom watched the baby, then Gordon took Madison with him to the gym this evening while I stayed with my dad, with Katelyn. I need to print their group class schedule and have a set schedule for each week. I like the barbell strength class and I'm going to try to step-interval and kickbox jam classes.

No comments: