Sunday, May 24, 2009

Artsy girl

This weekend, Madison and I did a few little art projects while Katelyn was asleep. She has a 5 drawer unit next to her table in the living room that has her color wonder paint brushes, the crayons and pencils along with paper, coloring books, stickers, etc open to her use at her will. However, I do keep the glue/scissors/glitter, etc on lockdown! She saw the art bucket the other day and said she wanted to make a pumpkin (bc she saw the one she made forever ago, sitting on the counter). So I got the construction paper, the glitter glue and some sequins and little jewel things out. She kind of drew with all kinds of colors of the glitter glue then put a bunch of jewels and some sequins on. She made two pictures, then it was time for bed.

Today, Madison helped me make some chocolate and some vanilla pudding and when it was ready, I pulled out a few different paintbrushes and a roll of newsprint. I also got some pink pudding that I had made the other day (it was white chocolate pudding that I tinted pink bc I put it in some cute chocolate dessert shells when I took Michelle dinner, so i had some left over). So Madison sat there and painted with brown, yellow and pink pudding. I tried to show her how to put her finger in it and fingerpaint, but she wasnt interested. She wanted to use the paintbrushes. Fine. So she did that for a while, but by the end of it, she had her whole hand in it doing handprints with the pudding. One paint brush looked more like a semicircle on the end of a stick, so she used that as a stamp. She even got to the point where she used the traditional paintbrush and was painting her nails with the pink nail polish! then she gave herself a "stamp" with the pudding and of course had to give me a stamp, too. By the time she was done, we both had all colors of pudding all over our hands. Ahhh, preschool fun.

one of these days, ill be brave enough to let her have scissors....at 2, I'm not so sure about it! I want to eventually get to where she has an art center like I always had set up in my kindergarten classroom. I guess maybe when she's three I might have more confidence in letting her have control over that kind of stuff. I'm so dreading her cutting her beautiful hair!!! She actually has an art table that I bought not this past Christmas, but the previous year's after christmas sale. We really gave it to her for her bday this past year....along with an art easel....um, both are still in the boxes in the garage! maybe we'll put them together tomorrow! She SO enjoys art, i need to give her more opportunities to do that, especially in the summer when she's out of preschool.

oh, ya, I decided not to keep her there during summer, bc it doesn't make sense, first of all, but secondly, since her preschool teacher left, I'm not impressed with the replacement teacher. In the fall, she'll go to Kids R Kids, about which I've heard great reviews and I really liked it when I toured it.

pics later...

No comments: