Sunday, November 16, 2008

Katelyn it is!

Ugh. I hate choosing names for a baby. It's so hard to first find a name I actually like...especially girls' names, bc 99% of the names make me cringe. Secondly, it has to be a name Gordon likes, too. Of course, it doesn't help that he keeps changing his mind...well, not even that he changes his mind, he FORGETS that he didn't like a particular name.

When we first found out we were having another baby, I made a (very) short list of names I liked. There were only four: Emma, Grace, Katelyn and Bailey. Gordon crossed off Grace because he didn't like it. He crossed off Bailey for the same reason, and said no to Katelyn bc my second cousin's daughter is named Caitlin. blah. So I was down to one name: Emma. But nothing goes with Emma, well, Emma Grace sounds good but he didn't like Grace.

Fast forward to October when we found out we were expecting a girl (we just sort of tabled name discussions until the big gender sono). He takes the name book, and ON THE SAME PIECE OF PAPER where I had written my short list, he writes some names...including BAILEY! When he showed me that I said, "You're kidding right? You like Bailey?" and he says, "Ya, what's wrong with it?" to which I replied, "well, I don't know, but a month or two ago you didn't like it and crossed it off my list!!!" lol. He looked at the paper (never even realized he had crossed it off months prior) and just sheepishly grinned. ugh. men.

So we still hadn't settled on a name, and I was 24 weeks pregnant...inching towards the third trimester and thinking this poor girl isn't going to have a name. So we started talking about names again. I had asked if he liked Emma Grace (I knew he didn't like Grace, but hey, he changed his mind about Bailey, so maybe his fluctuating tastes might be a good thing in this case...). Nope. No dice. He remembered he didn't like Grace. So I thought I'd ask again about Katelyn, even though he said he didnt like that name bc of my cousin's kid. so I said, "What about Katelyn?" to which he replies, "WHAT?! I wanted that name a few weeks ago and you said no because of your cousin's kid! Go ask your mom!". I had to quickly correct him and remind him that HE is the one who had issues with that name. I liked it because she can go by Katelyn or Katie or even Kate when she's an adult. So I was just laughing about that...sort of funny, yet sort of sad at the same time!

Then I said, "Okay, YOU want to name her Katelyn, I want to name her Katelyn, can we just agree that Katleyn will be the first name, so I can start thinking about middle names?". His answer? "Well, I have to think about it". Grrrrr! I swear, if our next kid is a girl, I'm just going to have to shoot myself...not because I'd mind having another girl, but then I'd have to find a name...and I'd have to scream! lol

As of now, I think we've decided that our daughter's first name will be Katelyn. On to middle names...any suggestions?

1 comment:

layla said...

Katelyn is a great name! Well at least Caitlyn and I think so. :) As long as the middle name is not Renae, it will work! Madison's Christmas pictures turned out great!