Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Ear Infection, Already?

Friday evening, I went out for MNO with the mom's group and we had a few drinks at BJs. I was told their pizza was very good (chicago style) and was not disappointed! It was yummy! Gordon called bc he was having a hard time with Katelyn, so I was home by about 10:30. He said she was screaming and crying and wouldn't settle down. They were all asleep by the time I got home, though.

Saturday morning, we went and got Katelyn's ears pierced. She woke up around 4:30 for a bottle, which is strange bc she has been sleeping through the night since 7 weeks but every now and then she'll wake up at night, so it wasn't that out of the ordinary. I didn't think twice about her fussiness, just figured she was changing, as newborns/infants do. She has started this squealing/high pitched sort of screaming lately. I figured that was just going to be the new normal. ouch. Well, then she continued to be fussy and was a little warm over the weekend, so I cancelled my training class I was scheduled to go to and woke up early to call the doc as soon as they opened. I was able to see Dr. Wallace (Dr. Stacey is out for the day and will soon be out for maternity leave. I really liked Wallace, so maybe I'll make Katelyn's 4mo checkup with her and if Madison needs to be seen, we'll go to her too!).

We went in the room and the nurse wanted to weigh Katelyn (13lb, 9oz) and I was going to put her diaper back on, but the nurse told me not to bc she wanted to take her temp. She had a 100.2 at that time. Then she said the doc would be in right away, so I didn't put her diaper back on her. I was just standing there next to the table, with one hand on Katelyn talking to the nurse, then all of a sudden, I was thinking, "What's warm?". I looked down to see Katelyn had peed all over the table. Not to mention is got on the end of my shirt and my jeans. ugh. So I asked the nurse for some paper towels, expecting her to hand me some from the dispenser by the sink, but instead she walked out to get something, I guess. So I just reached for my own wipes to clean it up, bc it was dripping off the table since it has rounded edges. In doing so, I knocked my coke over (which was in the stroller) and IT spilled on the floor! Right then, the doc and another doc (who was shadowing Dr. Wallace bc she was thinking of joining the group) walked in and they started cleaning up the floor. I finished cleaning the table as best I could, as the nurse changed the paper on the table. Then I cleaned up Katelyn and got her diaper on her. Whew! Good thing Madison was so good and played with the toys while all this was going on.

So I talked to the doc, she looked in her ears, and said both ears are red (though that can be caused by crying and Katelyn was definitely NOT enjoying the doc looking in her ears!!! She was screaming and her face was beet red.) but she said the left ear looked like the beginning of an ear infection. So she gave me a script for Amoxicillin and we were leaving.

I stopped by the bathroom to let Madison go before we got back in the car because this is the first day we've been out of the house in regular underwear, no diapers. She's been doing pretty good at home and the mommies in my group told me to just brave it and go out in public cold turkey! lol So I did. Well, when I took her to the bathroom her underwear was wet, so I put her on the potty and put the extra pair on her that I had brought...juuuuuuust in case! It was my fault, though, bc I made her go bf we left and was planning on taking her the second we got to the doc's office. But then, they were so good, they called us in right away and put us in a room. I figured it'd be a minute, so I could take her to the bathroom right across the hall. Well, the nurse was right there and started asking about Katelyn right away. Then she peed on the table, my coke spilled, then the doc was there to see Katelyn, so I really didnt even have a second to take her, though I guess I should have told the nurse to wait bc I had to take Madison to the bathroom, but I hate making them wait. oh, well. lesson learned!

On the way home, it was about noon, so I stopped at the McDonald's on the way home since I was planning to stop by target for the prescription and Madison would be hungry. Katelyn was already asleep, but she's sleep through the store. Well, by the time I was through the drive through (only one person in front of me) Madison was out cold, too. After the drive through, I pulled over in the parking lot, woke up Madison long enough to put a pull up on her then put her back in her seat and she went right back to sleep. We got home and I put them to bed and was going to take a nap myself, but couldnt fall asleep.

My parents came and watched the girls so I could run to target to pick up her script and a few other things, and when I got back, Madison had woken up, but she told my dad she pooped and came downstairs w/o a diaper. She showed him a book that had gotten some on it, too. Ew. So I went up there where my mom was with Madison trying to find her pullup, which she had in fact, pulled DOWN. Again, Ew. We looked for 5-10 minutes to find it. I thought well, this will be fun. We wont find it and her room will stink! She's usually really good at remembering where she put/hid things. She took my stylus out of my phone then hours later I noticed and asked her and she went right to her toys and found it. Needle in a haystack. I NEVER would have found it. But this time, she just said, "I dont know" when asked where the diaper is. But we finally found it, got everything cleaned up and she was fine again.

So that's my life lately...full of pee and poop! lol Ah, such is the life of a potty training mom!

No comments: