This is Texas. However, someone forgot to tell the weather that. It is February and it's SNOWING...not little bitty flakes where you have to sort of squint to see it, but real, huge flakes! This morning, the roads looked a little snowy, so I took both girls to my mom's house and mom was going to take Madison to school along with the other kids. I wanted to get to school early because today is my formal observation, so I dropped them off around 6:45 or so. Good thing I was early...as I stepped down from my very tall SUV, I put one foot down, but when I put the other down, they both slipped out from under me and I landed in more or less a sitting position on the ground. Did I mention it was snowing? So there was this icy/snowy mush and I just sat in it. Nice. Very nice. I left the girls with mom and dad, then ran home to grab some dry pants. All I had that I could find right away was a pair of jeans, so I changed and went to work. My back kind of hurt, but then again, when does it not?
So I went on about my day not thinking much about it, just glad I didn't fall on my belly. I had spent the morning poking and prodding the baby, trying to get him to move. He doesn't normally move much during the day anyways and today was no different. I was hoping he'd kick or something, just to relieve my mind a little. Nope. Not doing it. Well, while my kids were at the library, I had about a half hour to myself, so I just thought I'd call the doc and talk to the nurse, just to let them know and see what they say. I figured they'd just tell me not to worry about it, etc.
Boy, was I wrong! The nurse told me to hold on, while she talked to the doc...they never do that. She comes back to tell me that I really need to go to the hospital to L&D to be observed. So I went and told my VP and he is so awesome...he just said they'll take care of my class and figure something out and for me not to worry, just to go. It was just about lunch time, so I dropped my kids at the cafeteria and off I went to the hospital.
My mom was going to go with me, but since it had been snowing tons and tons and nonstop, I really didn't want her to have Katelyn out on the road, and besides, they may not even let her in L&D anyways...so I just told her I'd go by myself, since it'd probably take Gordon an hour to get to the hospital and it's probably nothing anyways. I went, got checked in and they put the monitor on my belly. As soon as I heard the heartbeat, I was so relieved and knew he was fine.
In the meantime, I was in a bed, by the window, so I got to stare out the window at the beautiful snow the whole time! That and my iphone kept me entertained while I was waiting. My dad showed up after a short while. He had left his work at USMD to come see me, and he was there for maybe 20 mins before the nurse came in and told me that the doc on call said to watch the baby on the monitor (which put out a paper strip, showing heartbeat and movement along with contractions...well, lack thereof to be exact) for another 2 hours. I sure wasn't looking forward to sitting there for two more hours, but you gotta do what you gotta do to make sure the baby is fine! So I told dad to go back to work and I'd be fine. The nurse said the baby's heartbeat and his movement looked beautiful and there were NO contractions at all, so everything looked good. About 2pm, they let me go, so I left and the funny part was when I got back to the valet to get my car, the valet guys had built a few things out of the snow including a car, a sign that said "VALET" and even a little snow puppy!
I drove home ever. so. slowly. The LAST thing I needed was to get into a wreck! lol The roads were covered with snow and I knew there was NO way we'd have school tomorrow. There was so much snow/slush on the ground, it's still snowing and it's supposed to get down to 29 overnight.
So baby is fine and I'm 99% sure we'll have a snow day tomorrow...yay for both!!! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment